Friday, April 6, 2012

Books I Like

Today, I'm pointing out a few YA books I enjoyed reading recently. One is now a major motion picture. The next is a wonderful adventure that I would love to see on the big screen some day. After that is a great new twist on an old fairy-tale.  And the last is a blast from the past (2004) which I love for its wit and memorable characters.  I highly recommend these:

I know. I know. I am late. Everyone is talking about The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I learned about this series at our annual Halloween party, two years ago. Many kids were dressed as Hogwarts but, in between magic wand fights, they talked excitedly about a character called Katniss and a book called The Hunger Games. They highly recommended it, and after finally reading it, so do I. Even if you see the movie, read the book! I loved it.

Note: For the more mature audience,  Battle Royale is both a manga and movie. Or so I have heard, but again--sigh--I am a bit behind and haven't seen those yet!


Above World by Jenn Reese is one of the best YA books I have read in the past year. I cannot recommend it more highly. Taking place sometime in the future, this story is about Aluna, a young girl whose people (the Kampii) have adapted to living underwater, in the sea. When Aluna and her best friend Hoku discover the Kampii's breathing devices are failing, they set out on a courageous quest to find a solution and save their families. They must journey to Above World. The worlds within the story are delightful in detail; the characters, lovable. It is a rare gift for the reader when an author takes the time to create such depth within her worlds. It's much appreciated!  Usually, I can guess an ending to a book a chapter in, but this story was so original, I was pleasantly surprised at every turn. I eagerly await the next book and recommend it to many friends, young and 'less' young!



Marissa Meyer delivers. Without a doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A great variation on the old fairy tale, Cinderella. Cinder is a cyborg. She's a strong, lovable character who faces a tough world with her street smarts and resourceful optimism. It's a world that spares little sympathy for her, but I had plenty of empathy to make up for that. By the end I was reading on the edge of my seat. I still am. Loved this book. Couldn't put it down.






Okay, this is one fun book. Its title says it all, and I can't really add to that. I enjoyed Hunter and Jen's adventure in So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld and I think you will enjoy it, too.

Published eight years ago, this book is still relevant and, remarkably, very few elements feel dated. The story is a funny social commentary camouflaged within a twisting plot and hidden between some bright, clever characters skating above a 'ticking time bomb' pace.




-Kara

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Hunger Games (but saw the movie) and it's on my list. Battle Royale is much more violent, from what my son tells me.

    I'm SO GLAD you mentioned Jenn Reese's book! I love love love the book, and can't wait to read book 2 and 3.

    Have meant to pick up Cinder...will now, definitely. And if I can find the Westerfield book I'll put it on my list...

    Thanks for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Christine!

      Above World is amazing. Jenn Reese does such a wonderful job creating scenes and character interactions. I can't wait for the next book, too! :) Thanks for stopping by.
      -Kara

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read any of the books on your list. (I know, how could i?!) Though I have read Westerfeld's UGLIES series, and LOVE it. Highly recommended! I also really liked Sharon Shinn's TROUBLED WATERS, and all of Diane Duane's WIZARD series. (9 books!)

    THanks for your list! More to add to my TBR pile! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth!

      Great suggestions. Uglies--went through that series like a box of Seroogy's chocolates. So GOOD! I will definitely check out TROUBLED WATERS and Duane's series. Thanks!
      -Kara

      Delete